/ / Gefsimansky Church: photo description (Gethsemanekirche)

Gefsimansky Church: photo description (Gethsemanekirche)

One of the most famous of Berlin's Protestant churches - gefsimansky - located in the district Prasquier and is recognized as an architectural monument of Germany. The name comes from the location, which is in Israel, at the foot of the mount of olives, and the Church was opened in 1893 in the presence of Wilhelm II - then Emperor of Germany. The highlight of this Church is that it adjoins the garden, and it is very symbolic, because it was established specifically in memory of Jesus and his final night before his arrest. Due to the architectural solution and high gefsimansky the Church spire is visible from afar.

Being built rather recently, the Church boasts an interesting history. So, in the area traditionally occupied only one apartment house. One of the richest landowners of those times was William Gribanov, but his wife is pious and eager to leave something behind - gave the city a plot of land, but with the condition that it build a Church. So, in 1891, there was laid the first stone, and after two years on the empty place was elegant Church, which was designed by the architect August Orth.

In this Church, in addition to the characteristic Windows and the common aspirations up, the body, the style quite clearly points to the neo-Gothic. In this case, the building takes into account all the principles of the Church and all traditional confessions of the room. Simply the interior is a bit dissonant with luxurious facades, but in General gefsimansky the Church makes an indelible impression.

In 1927, the Church began to restore, but in war she was not injured, and therefore the destruction was not strong. The only thing that had to be rebuilt in the postwar years is stained glass. At the fall of the Berlin wall in the Church often met activists of political and social movements, and today it plays a huge role in the religious life of Germany.