/ / City library of Trier: photo description (Stadtbibliothek Trier)

City library of Trier: photo description (Stadtbibliothek Trier)

City library of Trier is one of the largest and oldest collections of books in Rhineland-Palatinate. The basis of the library was the book collection of the Jesuit monastery, founded in 1560. By 1763 the number of instances of the meeting was already 10075 volumes, the library supplied with necessary literature of the old University of Trier. After the secularization under the French domination, and the dissolution of the monastery library was transferred to the municipality.

Today the municipal library building was built in 1955 and 1960 by the architect Alphonse Lytle and is a five-story cubic building with concrete bars. In addition to the fixed assets in the Central building is also available for visitors valuable files. From the garden to the library adjoins a two-storey trapezoidal room reading room. The whole building is recognized as monument of architecture.

Today's collection of the city library of Trier is 413 thousand volumes of books, manuscripts 2600 and 2500 incunabula (first printed books). Including 38 thousand volumes Dating from the 16th and 17th century. A good collection of literature on the history of Trier and the Moselle, wine and history. The most valuable copies - the real treasures of the city library - you can see the small exhibition halls. There are miniatures of the famous Trier Apocalypse, one of the few surviving copies of the Gutenberg Bible, the Codex of Archbishop Egbert von Trier's end of the 10th century and other ancient manuscripts.