/ / City Church of Bayreuth, (Bayreuth Stadtkirche)

City Church of Bayreuth, (Bayreuth Stadtkirche)

City Church in the Bavarian city of Bayreuth made in the late Gothic style and located in the heart of the Old city, near the Historical Museum.

The first Church was built in 1194, but was destroyed during the Hussite wars in 1430. In the crypt under the North tower remained the Foundation of its initial construction. The construction of a new Church began in 1437, and its towers, constituting 50 meters in height, was completed only in 1529. Interestingly, the caretaker lived inside the tower until 1934, it preserved "house" on the tower, dated 1448 year. From 1668 the top of the towers are connected by a stone corridor.

In 1528 the Margrave of the city announced the transition to Protestantism, and from that moment the Church became Evangelical. In the early XVII century, the Church suffered two fires, and in 1634 during the Thirty years war, a Cannonball broke a window in the choir loft, and inside it was a lot of people, but fortunately, all survived. This miraculous event was immortalized in the following way: inserted the new glass looked broken, and it was the year of the accident.

Until the mid XVIII century the town Church was also the Margrave tomb - their graves are in the crypt under the choir.

In the XIX century the Church was restored several times, was added a Baroque and neo-Gothic elements. In 1975-1978 was increased choirs, and in 2004 on the East wall of the Church finally dismantled the medieval image of the pigs who insult Jews. In its place was installed a special plaque, aimed at combating anti-Semitism.

At the beginning of the XXI century underwent large-scale renovations, which ended in December 2014.

Inside the Church special interest is the altar 1615, tricuspid reminiscent of Gothic altars. The font, benches and a pulpit was made in 1871-1872 year in neo-Gothic style. It is worth noting that the font is decorated with alabaster reliefs 1615, the author of which was the Nuremberg master, the Creator and also the main altar of the Church.

In addition to urban electors in the Church was buried by other no less eminent a person, inside it is a lot of tombstones and epitaphs in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and even earlier, more wooden tombstones belonging to the burgomasters, priests and superintendents.

The Church has two modern on. The towers are 8 bells, some of them preserved since 1624, and the rest was replaced in 1961. The largest bell weighs 2300 pounds.