/ / The city Museum of Trier in the monastery of SV. Simeon: photo description (Stadtmuseum Simeonstift Trier)

The city Museum of Trier in the monastery of SV. Simeon: photo description (Stadtmuseum Simeonstift Trier)

The city Museum of Trier is located in the former convent of St. Simeon, to the left of the Porta nigra gate. The basis of its extensive permanent exhibition came from private collections donated by prominent citizens. Creation of a municipal Museum began in 1830 with the collection of paintings, sculptures, porcelain and ceramics, donated to the city by P. Hermes. In subsequent years the Museum was enriched with collections of weapons, household items, works of art from residents of the city.

On the area of 1000 sq. m of exhibits that reflect the life, economy, culture and religion of Trier from the early middle ages to the present. Among the most interesting items - the layout of the city showing its appearance in 1800, and one of the medieval symbols of Trier — stone cross, 10th century, standing on the market square.

Of interest is the collection of Coptic textiles from the 3rd-9th centuries (about 300 items) and lighting devices from ancient times to the 20th century, collection of paintings of the Renaissance, and more. A curious exhibit of the Museum was the gold Cup from which, according to urban legend, in 1804, drank the local wine of Napoleon.

Last major reconstruction and significant expansion of the exhibition space of the city Museum of Trier in the monastery of SV. Simeon was held in the late 20th — early 21st century. Modern collection view with interactive zones enriched with multimedia presentations, models and audio guides in different languages. In addition to the permanent exhibition the Museum organizes various exhibitions: art and theme dedicated to the history of the city.