/ / National Museum of Grenada

National Museum of Grenada

Photos and description

National Museum of Grenada on the corner of young and Monckton opened its doors to the public on 17 April 1976. It was founded on the initiative of then Prime Minister Eric M. Gari, a group of foreigners and citizens with the objective to increase the level of awareness among the population and tourists about the history, culture and heritage of Grenada. For many years he was the only one functioning in the country a Museum and is the only national status.

The Museum is located in a building that served as French barracks from 1704 and was built on the Foundation of Fort St. George. The building was used by the British as a prison for women until 1880. Later there were two Goodies, with different owners, some time later, office recruitment agencies.

Initially the theme of the Museum was archaeology and history. The modern sections of the Museum - Slavery, the First settlers, Plantation economy, Whaling and fishing archaeological finds, Ancient transport and technology. The Museum exhibits various historical items including artifacts of the tribes of the Caribs and the arawaks, machines for processing of sugar and the equipment of the whaling industry, as well as a marble bath of Josephine Bonaparte. The exhibition consists of the remnants of Indian pottery, ancient samples of rum. There is a small collection of antiquities, plus the petroglyphs of the local fauna, photographs and documents from the first Telegraph line, established in the city in 1871. There are also exhibits telling about the events related to the murder of Maurice Bishop and the subsequent war and assault on Grenada by U.S. troops. In addition, it discusses political developments up to 1980-ies.