/ / Art Museum Honolulu

Art Museum Honolulu

Photos and description

Opened in 1927, the couple missionaries Anna and Charles Cooke, the Art Museum is the largest private collection of fine art, with international recognition. Number of exhibits - more than 50 thousand, covering the period of about 5000 years. Also Anna rice Cooke was founded in 1927, the Academy of arts of Honolulu. Together with her husband in 1882 they built a house on the site which later housed the Museum.

Charles cook was a prosperous businessman and together with his wife they collected works of art, ranging from ceramics, textiles and furniture through their import through the company Yeun Kwock Fong Inn from China. When the Cookies collection outgrew their home, Anna cook decided to hold the first exhibition of the Museum, which would reflect the multinational culture. In 1920 she and her daughter Ellis, Dagmar and Mrs. Cox, teacher of art and drama, published a catalogue of the exhibition.

Family Cookies donated their land to Berentania Street for the Museum, and allocated the$ 25,000, and the family house demolished for the construction of a new building. They hired architect Bertram Goodhue of new York for the development of the project. Bertram Goodhue designed the plans of a number of galleries that surround the courtyards, taking advantage of natural light and climate of the Hawaiian archipelago. He used the elements of Chinese and Mediterranean architecture, along with a pitched roof, popular in the Islands, and created a new Hawaiian architectural style. Chinese courtyard surrounded by Asian art galleries, is located to the West of the Central courtyard. Mediterranean courtyard, the center of a collection of European and American art, is placed in the East. The architect used paving stones made from Chinese granite slabs, which in the early 1800-ies were ballast on ships carrying sandalwood. I went to the course and a Chinese green glazed tile, hardened lava from Kaimuki; sidewalks carved out of solid rock with Molokai. After the death of Goodhue in 1924, the project was completed by Philip the hardy.

Landscaping gardens in 1928-1941 gg was involved in K. H. Inagaki. He used the Japanese approach to Shizen (nature) in the garden, using stones as paths, curbs and landscape boulders. Inagaki selected the sort of stone and its placement is thus to highlight the natural terrain of the hotel, transforming a barren ravine into a classic Japanese stroll through the garden.

Since the Museum is constantly growing, both in terms of the collection, and the territories, and became one of the best museums in the United States. Additions to the original building include a library (1956), the scientific wing (1960), gift shop (1965), a cafe (1969), a contemporary gallery, administrative offices and a theatre for 280 (1977), art Studio (1989). In 2001, the Museum expanded with the opening of the complex, Henry R. Luce by John Hara.

Core collections include the collected Samuel Kress of the work of the Italian Renaissance, paintings by American and European artists, graphics, decorative and applied art of the peoples of Oceania, Africa, textiles, works by Hawaiian artists. Periodically hold exhibitions of works by Monet, van Gogh, Andy Warhol, John.Michener, Hokusai. In addition, film and concert programs, lectures, art classes and workshops, a Museum and cultural center of the city.