/ / The Museum of tea ware

The Museum of tea ware

Photos and description

Built in 1840-ies Flagstaff-house - a reminder of the colonial heritage of Hong Kong. Previously it was the office and residence of commander British forces in Hong Kong, now he is one of the oldest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the city.

Its first occupant was major General G. C. D Aguilar, who served as commander of the British forces in China from 1844 to 1846 and held the position of Vice-Governor. Flagstaff house continued to be the residence of the commander until 1978, when he was transferred to the government of Hong Kong. During the Second World war the house twice came under Japanese bombardment, but it was quickly repaired, because the building was requisitioned by the occupying forces.

Some time in the Flagstaff house housed the office of the Registrar of marriages. Today, the building takes pride of place on the Park Hong Kong, and is still one of the favorite backdrop for wedding photos. The house was converted into the Museum of tea ware and the Hong Kong branch of the art Museum in 1984 and in 1995 added a new exhibit in a separate wing.

This is the first Museum in the world specializing in the study and demonstration of tea ware. The core of the Museum's collection was donated by the connoisseur, by Dr. K. S. Lo. The exposition includes about 600 items of tableware from the period of Western Zhou (11 century BC-771 BC) to the twentieth century. Half of the collection consists of porcelain tea ware includes bowls, cups, teapots and jugs, the other half includes objects, sculptures and objects from the time of the Ming dynasty (1368-1644) to the present day. In addition, the exhibition presents a small number of Japanese and European products to highlight the impact that Chinese tea ware has had on the lives of other countries.

In addition to exhibitions the Museum organizes regular workshops, tea ceremonies and lectures on Chinese tea culture.