/ / Sheung WAN and Western

Sheung WAN and Western

Photos and description

Sheung WAN is a district in Hong Kong, located in the northwestern part of the island, between Central and SAI Ying POON. Administratively, it is part of the Central and Western district. Its name is interpreted in different ways- either the Upper area or the Marina area (perhaps due to the place where first landed the British).

Sheung WAN was one of the first inhabited by the British and belonged to the historical part of the city of Victoria. First possession, occupied by British troops in 1842, was located between Queen's road and Hollywood road, as evidenced by the sign in Hollywood road Park at the top of the street.

Western, or Western market, built in 1991 and converted into a shopping complex, is a modern building with shops selling items of decorative arts and fabrics. Merchants - owners of shops that were originally located in the old alleys of Central. The present structure is on the site of the Northern part of the Western market, was established in September 1844. It consisted of two separate units - the South (demolished) and North neighborhoods. South block Queen road, was built in 1858, in 1980, merchants were evicted and demolished the market. The Northern quarter are sealed, maintained and repaired by the Corporation on land development.

The surviving historic building in the Queen Anne style Edwardian built in 1906 for the needs of the food market than it was before 1988. The building was damaged during the construction of metro line Sheng, reconstruction work was conducted. In 1990 the building was declared a historical monument, renovated and opened as the Western market in 1991.

The four-storey building made of red brick masonry with four corner towers punctuated with white stone, giving a polychromatic effect, the entrance is decorated with a massive granite arch. Once the building was blue but was later painted red to match the architectural style.

Today the Western Market in Sheung WAN - a fine example of the colonial past of Hong Kong.