/ / The Abbey of Pannonhalma: photo description (Pannonhalma Archabbey)

The Abbey of Pannonhalma: photo description (Pannonhalma Archabbey)

The Abbey of Pannonhalma — an active Benedictine monastery of the order of 20 km from győr. This the oldest monastery in Hungary, founded in 996, and after exactly 1000 years recognized as UNESCO world heritage, is the second largest in the world.

Pannonhalma monastery was built by Prince Gasoi - father of king Stephen the Saint on the top of the hill of St. Martin (according to tradition here was born St. Martin of tours). Its architectural appearance throughout history were changed repeatedly. Shattered fragments of the complex were replaced by new, corresponding to the style of the present time. In the end, the complex architecture of the buildings visible in different styles: Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and neoklassitsisticheskoy.

In 1541 the threat of war with the Ottomans was so obvious that the monastery received by that time, the status of aryabatta, was turned into a fortress. However, the walls of the monastery did not prevent the Turks several times to destroy the Abbey and destroy the buildings. After the departure of the Turks in the beginning of the XVIII century, the Abbey has undergone large construction and rehabilitation works. The predominant architectural style of these buildings became Baroque. The following reconstruction of the complex took place in 1995 - a year before the millennial anniversary and recognition of the Pannonhalma Abbey a world heritage site by UNESCO.

Pannonhalma at the time was visited by such personalities as John Paul II, Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexy II (1994), Patriarch of Constantinople Varfolomey and the Dalai Lama (2000).