/ / Archaeological Museum and Lapidarium: photos, description (Archaeological Museum and Lapidarium)

Archaeological Museum and Lapidarium: photos, description (Archaeological Museum and Lapidarium)

House number 12 on széchenyi square was built in the 18th century in late Baroque style. The first record that tells about his history, belong to 1687 in the house of Ibrahim Sora, the Jesuits opened a secondary school. In 1722, this building housed the German school. Since 1773, the building became private property until 1922, when it housed the Archaeological Museum.

The exhibits acquaint visitors with the history of the region from prehistory to the Hungarian conquest. Because of the diversity of artifacts the Museum is to highlight the discoveries from the stone age pots bronze age, ancient burial grounds of the Jakab hill. It is known that in the late period of the bronze age people settled on the hill Jakab in the year 1000 BC. They cremated their dead, the ashes placed in an urn and placed in a tomb on the site of the pyre. Along with urn they were buried with food, drinks and a variety of tools.

In the courtyard of the Museum is a collection of Roman tombstones and sarcophagi found during the excavations in the city.