/ / Gothic Protestant Church: photo description (Gothic Protestant Church)

Gothic Protestant Church: photo description (Gothic Protestant Church)

Gothic Protestant Church is the oldest building in Miskolc. In the 13th century it was a small Church in Romanesque style, later expanded and took the form of a large Gothic Church.

In 1544 during the Turkish occupation of Hungary the Church burned down. To restore it, required the forest. However, nearby to the Church forests belong to the Catholics, so the construction was delayed and began only twenty years later.

Church on the master's works of Josef Angster appeared in the Church in 1895. Thanks to the excellent acoustics of the building, there are often held concerts of organ music.

The Church tower was built in 1557. It bells up to 1941 every 15 minutes played the melody of the Westminster chimes. Because of the noise of the city the bells are not always nice to hear, but it is one of the most famous symbols of the city. National theatre of Miskolc borrowed this melody to alert the audience about the beginning of the representation.

The Church is surrounded by cemetery, where lie the famous sons of the city, including famous politicians and artists.