/ / The Greek Orthodox Church and Museum: photos, description Greek Orthodox Church and Museum)

The Greek Orthodox Church and Museum: photos, description Greek Orthodox Church and Museum)

A significant monument of history and architecture of Miskolc Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity and the Museum when it can be found in the city centre. The Church belongs to the Hungarian Orthodox diocese. Holy Trinity Church was built in 1785 - 1806 years for the Greek colonists. The architectural style of the Church, the Sak, quite rare for that time, the interior matches the same style. The Church is famous in the first place, as its Europe's largest iconostasis with a height of 16 meters with 87 scenes from the life of Christ. The Baroque iconostasis was carved in the workshop of Nicholas Jankovic of Eger, the pictures (with the exception of four of them ) were written by Anton Kuchelmeister from Vienna. A copy of the Akhtyrka icon of the Mother of God - a gift from Empress Catherine II.

Next to the Church of the Holy Trinity is the Hungarian Orthodox Church Museum, which houses the richest in the country collection of Orthodox Church art. The Museum occupies the building of the Greek school, built in 1805, and opened its doors to visitors in 1988.