/ / Museum of Csontvary: photos, description Csontvary Museum)

Museum of Csontvary: photos, description Csontvary Museum)

Stanislaus Kostka, Tivadar of Centuari is a Hungarian artist that has become part of the avant-garde movement in the early twentieth century. Working mostly in Budapest, he became one of the first Hungarian artists, who became well known in Europe. 15 Dec 2006 at auction in the Kieselbach gallery picture of Contary "Rendezvous" (1902) was bought by an anonymous client for the sum more than one million euros. The artist's works are in the National gallery in Budapest, the Museum of Csontvary in pécs, as well as in private collections.

Picture Tivadar of Csontvary after his death were not long in his Studio in Budapest. The heirs of the artist found a use for his creativity, offering a huge canvas as car seat covers. Young architect Gideon Gerlache was finished school and was looking for the Studio. Seeing the announcement of the surrender on the doors of the house of the artist, he looked at the deserted dwelling of Csontvary. The wall was not yet rolled in the roll pattern, absolutely stunned student. This was the famous "Lone Cedar". In anticipation of the auction Gerlache managed to buy all the work of Csontvary and paintings Packed in boxes, waiting for the young owner of masterpieces will find them a new place. Finally, some of them managed to place in College, Gerlache taught.

After exhibitions in Paris and Brussels in 1949 the paintings were moved to the basement of the National Museum of art, and some of them were returned only six years later. Later the masterpieces were kept in the chambers of the National gallery, one of them for a long time stood in the corridor face to the wall. When in 1970 the government of the PEC have asked permission from Gerlos a demonstration of paintings on permanent display, he said. without hesitation, I agreed. Museum of Csontvary in pécs was established on the basis of an agreement concluded for ten years.

The Museum was opened in 1973 to the 120 anniversary since the birth of the artist in one room were exhibited eight paintings and a few sketches of the author. Ten years later, the exhibition of the works was greatly expanded when the government bought the collection (with the exception of four paintings) in Gerlache, and the exhibition has been enriched with paintings brought from private collections from Dalmatia, Hortobagy and Banska Stiavnica.