/ / Cave gellért: photos, description (Gellert Hill Cave)

Cave gellért: photos, description (Gellert Hill Cave)

Gellért hill cave is part of a network of caves in Gellert hill. The cave is called "cave of St. John" by the name of the hermit who lived there and is believed to have used the natural thermal waters of the lake near the cave to heal the sick. It is likely that this is the same water that fall into the pools of the gellért bath.

In the 19th century the cave was a refuge for poor families, which, as we could have arranged the natural housing. The entrance to the cave was closed. The illustration of this period of history can be seen in a painting by mihály Mayr, dated 1860-ies and photos of györgy Klesa 1877.

In the 1920-ies a group of monks, inspired during a pilgrimage stone buildings of Lourdes in France, is a cave on his own and altered the entrance. From 1926 until 1951, the cave served as a chapel and even monastery. During the Second world war it housed a field hospital of the German army. In 1945 the Red army liberated Budapest. Within six years, the cave continued to carry out religious functions, but in 1951 under the increased repression directed against the Catholic Church, the public security authorities raided the chapel. The cave was walled up, the older brother Ferenc Vezer was condemned to death, the monks to prison terms of up to ten years.

The chapel was re-opened on 27 August 1989 - thick concrete wall covering the entrance, was destroyed. By 1992, the chapel was restored and put in order. Currently in the cave, the services are held, despite the fact that it is a tourist attraction.