/ / Liberty square: photos, description (Liberty Square)

Liberty square: photos, description (Liberty Square)

Freedom square is one of the biggest squares of the capital of Hungary in a well-equipped Spa area on the left Bank of the Danube to the South-East of the Hungarian Parliament building. Until 1886 the well-equipped Spa area was overloaded army barracks, some of which were used as prison facilities. It is here that contained the participants of the Hungarian uprising of 1848. In memory of those tragic events in 1926 at the corner of Bathory and Hold the eternal flame was lit.

After the demolition of the barracks complex in 1886, formed a square, stretched from North to South along the perimeter of which is lined remarkable in architectural terms the building of osobnyakov. In 1901, the area has decorated the building with a facade in the art Nouveau style, today it houses the U.S. Embassy. In 1905, after the reconstruction of the square on its opposite side the building Exchange (now here is the radio-television company) and the National Bank, designed by renowned Hungarian architect and sculptor Ignaz Alpari.

The Central part of the area is a Park with fountains, a monument to Soviet Army soldiers who fell during the liberation of Budapest from the Nazis.