/ / Victoria Train Station

Victoria Train Station

Photos and description

The main and most crowded railway station of Mumbai is Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, named so after the Indian national hero. The construction of the station began in 1878 and lasted 10 years, until 1888, although he began his work before the end of construction in 1882. The chief architect of the project was Frederick William Stevens, a rather famous at that time in Britain. When designing the station, a sample was taken from the London station of St Pancras. Initially, the station called "Victoria" - in honor of the English Queen, but on March 4, 1996 it was renamed.

The architecture of the building mixed Victorian and Gothic styles, while much influence of the national Indian culture. Therefore, it is more like a Royal Palace than a railway station. Its walls are decorated with stained glass Windows, carved stone friezes, graceful columns, high arches. Neat turrets are a kind of backdrop for the Central dome, the top of which is crowned by a statue of a woman symbolizing progress. In one hand she holds a torch and the other with the wheel. As the station is decorated with several statues dedicated to trade, agriculture, science and technology. The columns of the main gate decorated with figures of a lion and a tiger, symbolizing Britain and India. The Central part of the station is a courtyard which can be accessed directly from the street. Inside the halls of the station are tiled, decorated with carved wooden panels and wrought metal railings.

The station serves commuter routes and several long-distance routes, and only has 18 platforms.

In 1994, the station received the status of UNESCO cultural heritage.