/ / Botanicheskie the Lalbagh gardens

Botanicheskie the Lalbagh gardens

Photos and description

Botanical garden the Lalbagh is located in the southern city of Bangalore, capital of Karnataka. Its name "Lal Bagh" which means "red garden", the garden received due to the large number of growing roses in it. The founder of the garden is Haidar Ali, one of the most famous rulers of the Principality of Mysore (later Karnataka). It was on his orders on the territory of about 16га was a garden, which was intended for his personal use. Garden plants were imported almost from all over the world - Persia, Afghanistan, France, England. The same was specially built complex irrigation system, which not only watered the land, but also helped to create wonderful fountains and Lotus ponds. Later development was gardening the son of Haidar Ali, Tipu Sultan, which joins an existing collection of rare and exotic plants.

In 1856, the Lalbagh was given the status of Government Botanical Garden, and has since been the object of scientific research. And in the 1870-ies, in honor of the Prince of Wales at the initiative of the caretaker of the garden of John Cameron, began construction of a Glass House, a model for which was London's Crystal Palace. Today in the Glass House every year (in January and August) are held the flower show, which tourists come from all over the world.

In addition to the Glass House, another attraction is Lalbagh the Kempegowda monument, located on top of a rocky formation, whose age is about 3 million years. From the top of this hill you can see almost the entire garden.

At the moment, the Lalbagh is one of the largest Botanical gardens in Asia, it is more than 97 acres of land. In the garden grows around 1854 species of plants, including rare species.

To get to the Lalbagh is possible through one of the four main gates of the South (are the main), North, West or East. The garden is open to the public all year round, from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., and from 9 am to 6 PM entrance is paid.