/ / Mattanchery Palace

Mattanchery Palace

Photos and description

Southwestern Indian state of Kerala is rich in various architectural wonders, built at different times. One of such famous attractions is the mattancherry Palace, known as Dutch Palace, is located in Kochi.

It was erected by the Portuguese mission in the distant 1555 as a gift to the Raja Veera Kerala Varma. Later, in 1663, the Dutch East India company made some adjustments and additions to the construction plan, and since then it stuck for the name "Dutch". Subsequently, the Palace was repeatedly rebuilt and reconstructed, as the territory passed into the possession of the Mysore rulers, the British.

The Palace is a large quadrangular building constructed in fairly typical for Alaska style - nalukettu with a large courtyard in the center of which stands a small temple in honor of Pazhayannur Bhagavati (the goddess was considered the patron Saint of the Royal family of Kochi). In addition to the Palace there are still two temples dedicated to the gods Shiva and Krishna.

Externally, the Palace is not very impressive, but his frescoes and wall painting makes truly admire the skill that created them, artists. These murals done in a traditional Indian temples style with warm colours, mostly on religious themes.

Of particular interest is the Royal bedchamber. It occupies the South-Western part of the Palace, and all its walls, as well as the ceiling, covered with painted - all it shows 48 scenes from the Ramayana.

At the moment, in the mattancherry Palace you can visit the art gallery there, which houses an exhibition dedicated to the rulers of Kochi.