/ / The Afghan memorial Church

The Afghan memorial Church

Photos and description

Mumbai is a huge city, crowded and noisy. There are very few quiet corners in which to escape the hustle and bustle. It was such a peaceful place and is the Church of St. John the Evangelist, located in the southern part of Mumbai. It was built by the British in 1847 after the defeat of their army in the First Afghan war 1838-1943 years, as a tribute to the fallen soldiers, which is why it is also called Afghan memorial Church. It is designed in the Gothic style, and is a beautiful building with pointy spires and tall narrow Windows, decorated with intricate stained glass Windows. Inside the Church is quite dark, full of Gothic arches and nooks. But in the registration it is possible to notice the influence of Indian culture on the walls there are patterns and designs in national Indian style.

For the Church used the local limestone and basalt, but the tiles that are mosaic patterns on the floor, was specially brought from Britain. Bells installed in the bell tower, was also imported from England, and at that time were considered among the best in the whole of Western India. The height of the bell tower with a spire is almost 60 metres before, when the city of skyscrapers and high-rises, it could be seen for many miles around. Therefore, the Church served as a landmark for ships in the Harbor.

To date, the Afghan memorial Church is under the protection of the government, it is open to tourists and each week there are services.