/ / The Jag Mandir Palace

The Jag Mandir Palace

Photos and description

Gorgeous and luxury Palace Jag Mandir is located on one of the two Islands of lake Pichola, related to the territory of the city of Udaipur which is also called the Venice of the East or the White City. The construction of Jag Mandir was held in three stages under three rulers: it started in 1551 by Maharana Amar Singh, in the years 1620-1628, continued by Maharana Karan Singh and completed the construction during his reign (1628-1652) Maharana Jagat Singh I.

A three-level Palace is a complex of buildings of incredible beauty. The first building erected was the Gul Mahal - a small Palace in yellow Sandstone with a wide main dome topped with an Islamic Crescent. Inside, one above the other are three domed hall. The Palace was originally intended to be used as a refuge for Prince Khurram, who has been hiding from his father, Mughal Emperor of Jahangir, and to which Maharana Amar Singh was treated with great favor.

The main Palace of Jag Mandir communicates with the Gul Mahal and turned "face" to the City Palace. It is a composite of many halls, pavilions and halls, lined with great stone mosaic. At the corners of the Palace are octagonal turrets with small domes. Right at the entrance to the Palace is a pavilion, which is an arched colonnade snow-white, which is decorated with figures of elephants carved out of stone, but later they were damaged and replaced with foam.

On the territory of the Palace complex offers lush gardens for which the Jag Mandir Palace is even called the Lake Garden. It has a courtyard, which is decorated with white and black tiles and is full of fountains and swimming pools.

The Jag Mandir Palace was always a place to stay, and today it is often rented for various events and parties.

To enter the territory of the Islands by using boats which depart from the jetty at the City Palace.