/ / National Museum of Indonesia

National Museum of Indonesia

Photos and description

National Museum of Indonesia located in Central Jakarta in Merdeka square. At the National Museum of Indonesia you can see archaeological, historical, ethnological collections, and to learn many interesting facts about Indonesian geography.

The Museum building is also called "the elephant House" because of the fact that before the entrance to the Museum is a bronze elephant statue. This statue was donated to Chulalongkorn, king of Siam in 1871. In addition, it is also called "House of statues", because the Museum features a large collection of statues from different eras.

The widest collection of the Museum includes many exhibits brought from all over Indonesia. The gallery's history starts in 1778 when a group of Dutchmen formed the Royal society of arts and Sciences, Batavia. This Institute was a private organization whose purpose was to stimulate scientific research in the field of fine arts and natural Sciences, especially in the field of history, archaeology, Ethnography and physics, and publish the obtained data.

One of the organizers of this Institute, the Dutch botanist Jacob Radermacher, donated to the organization of the building and the collection of cultural objects and books, which were of great value, and which began the Museum and library. Gradually the collection grew, in the early nineteenth century was built a new building.

In 1862 the government of the Dutch East India decided to build a new Museum. Officially the Museum opened in 1868. In 1931, the Museum's collection was exhibited at the world cultural exhibition in Paris. However, the exhibition was a fire, and the pavilion of the Dutch East Indies had been destroyed, like most of the exhibits. The Museum received the payment, and for several years bought the exhibits to fill the collection again. In 2007, it opened a new building of the Museum, which houses artifacts Dating from prehistoric times to the present day.

The national Museum has rich collections and is considered one of the best in Indonesia and South Asia. The Museum's collection includes about 62000 artifacts including anthropological artifacts, and 5,000 archeological artifacts from all over Indonesia and Asia.

The Museum is divided into two parts: the old wing - the elephant House and new wing - Building sculptures. In the house of the elephant you can see a collection of Indo-Buddhist stone statues and sculptures of ancient Indonesia. In the House the elephant is a treasure house that contains archaeological and ethnographic collection, the hall collection of historical relics and ceramic, textiles and coins. The new building of the Museum, House statues, consists of seven floors. Four of them operates a permanent exhibition, and the other three is the administration of the Museum. One of the largest exhibits of the Museum is the Buddha statue, which reaches a height of 4 meters.