/ / Spanish arch: photos, description (Spanish Arch)

Spanish arch: photos, description (Spanish Arch)

Galway - old Irish city that once was the largest seaport. Here conducted a lively trade with the world, and the city, its wharves and quays was well fortified and was not afraid of the invasion of the invaders.

Spanish arch is a small fragment of the fortress wall, all that is now left of these powerful fortifications. This section of the city wall was built in 1584 and took place from the tower of St. Martin to the river Corrib, protecting the waterfront, which then housed the Fish market. In the XVIII century the town and port expanded, the city walls were rebuilt and they were done arches, so you can get to the new berths and quays. One of these arches later became known as Spanish. The exact origin of this name is unknown; perhaps it is through this arch in the town got goods from Spain. The original arch was called a Blind arch or Head of the wall. It is located on the banks of the river Corrib right in front of the Claddagh village (now a suburb of Galway), the birthplace of the famous Claddagh rings.

In 1755, occurred the Lisbon earthquake, which resulted in a tsunami that destroyed part of the city walls of Galway. Suffered Spanish arch, her jewelry has been washed away or damaged.

At the end of XX century it housed the city Museum Galway, but in 2006 the Museum has been built new building. Spanish arch now serves as a wall of the Museum's patio.

The arch is decorated with a wooden sculpture of the Madonna, done by Clare Sheridan. This famous writer and sculptor lived for some time in neighboring arch house.