/ / The Cathedral Of St. John the Baptist, The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist)

The Cathedral Of St. John the Baptist, The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist)

Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Catholic Cathedral in the Irish town of Limerick. The Cathedral Of St. John the Baptist was built in the second half of the 19th century on the site of the old chapel of St. John (1753). Initially it was planned to build a relatively small parish Church, but in the process of raising funds was that the project budget has grown substantially, and it was decided to build a temple that will become the new Cathedral of the diocese. Engineered the building of the Cathedral, the famous English architect Philip Charles Hardwick.

The first stone in the Foundation of the Cathedral was laid in may 1856, and after almost three years in the still unfinished Church held its first service. Fully open to the public, the Cathedral was in July 1861, although by this time the construction work was still going on, impressive improvements were required and the interior of the Church. Tower of the Cathedral was designed separately, and its construction was completed in 1882. And in 1883 in Limerick from Dublin was delivered the bell, weighing half a ton, specially cast for the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Illuminated Cathedral was only in 1894, and officially the status of "Cathedral" was altogether in January 1912, in accordance with the decree of Pope Pius X.

Cathedral of St. John the Baptist built of blue limestone of Limerick and is a huge impressive building in neo-Gothic style, the architecture of which clearly shows the influence of the famous Salisbury Cathedral. The height of the tower with its crowning spire is 93 m and is the tallest building in Limerick and the tallest religious structure in Ireland. Very striking and the interior of the temple. Special attention certainly deserve a luxurious stained glass Windows and numerous statues and sculptures of the Cathedral.