/ / White city

White city

White city - the world's largest collection of buildings in the style of the Bauhaus school, located in the heart of tel Aviv. A huge complex with over four thousand buildings, was recognized by UNESCO as part of world cultural heritage.

The Bauhaus is born of the eponymous art school that emerged in Germany in 1919. It formed the creative core of artists have followed innovative approaches. Breaking centuries-old tradition, they abandoned the classical architectural orders and declared functional architecture based on the technologies of mass production. Buildings in the Bauhaus-style at first seemed intolerable, "Naga", but soon the society appreciated their clear outline. The school made a breakthrough in the design of the furniture, appliances, utensils - many of her designs and today look absolutely modern.

The school has a powerful international team: Germans, Americans, Hungarians, Jews, Russians. Wall paintings, in particular, was taught by Wassily Kandinsky. The growing power of the Nazis considered the school as a hotbed of communism, promoting "degenerate art". In 1933, after coming to power, they immediately closed the Bauhaus.

Fleeing persecution, the teachers of the school emigrated to various countries - from the USA to the USSR. Many architects such as Arieh Sharon and Shlomo Bernstein, headed to Palestine, which at that time was rapidly developing tel Aviv. Here they adapted the new architectural language to the sultry climate of Palestine, used a flat roof, sun ledges, wide balconies, narrow Windows. The wall was made mainly of white color, reflecting the sun's rays - hence the name of this part of the city. Neighborhoods of tel Aviv, built in the Bauhaus-style, lie to the South of the Yarkon river and look at the Mediterranean sea.

The first building in this style built in tel Aviv in 1933 by architect ze'ev Rechteren, was built on the pillars: so it is better cooled by the sea breeze, and the kids protected from the sun Playground. Centre White city - Rothschild Boulevard, one of the first of the tel Aviv streets in the public space. People love to walk here in the evenings, when the heat subsides, you hear a hubbub of visitors to the dozens of sidewalk cafes, open doors fashionable galleries.

Tel Aviv appreciates so unusual for the Middle East's architectural heritage. Dizengoff street, named after the first mayor of the city, is the Bauhaus center with a library and a gallery where exhibitions devoted to the architecture of tel Aviv. Here, guided walking tours of the White city. On the street Bialik is also a small Museum of the Foundation Bauhaus - it occupies the ground floor of the building, built in 1934. Everything here, from furniture to lamps and glazed ceramics, made in the style of Bauhaus. Even the door handles in a small Museum designed by Walter Gropius, founder of the legendary school, survived a brutal persecution of the Nazis.