/ / Calamosca: photos, description (Calamosca)

Calamosca: photos, description (Calamosca)

Calamosca is one of the most popular beaches in Cagliari, located about 4 km from the historic centre of the city. The beach stretches in the middle of a small Bay and is bounded by a ridge of rocks to the West and the hill of Sant Elia to the East (hill refers to the city quarter of San Bartolomeo).

In the immediate vicinity, on the hill of Sant Elia, stands the Torre di Calamosca, built in the 17th century as part of defensive system to protect Gulf of Cagliari from the attacks of pirates. The bulk of the tower and standing next to the lighthouse dominate the Calamosca beach. Today the complex is owned by the Navy of Italy.

The cylindrical tower Torre di Calamosca was built in 1638, the year, as evidenced by the plaque on the outside wall with the coat of arms of the Spanish king. Its construction was part of the project of creation of a defensive system of Sardinia, designed by the Spaniards, in which similar towers were built along the coast of the island. Torre di Calamosca in the past called Torre de Armas weapons, because it was equipped with powerful guns, or Torre dei Segnali Signal, with which the tower could communicate with Castello in Cagliari. During the attack the French Navy in 1793, the year this tower played a crucial role in the defense of the city. In the middle of the 19th century Torre di Calamosca was raised using the add-on of the cylindrical body, and was built next to the lighthouse.

In the vicinity of the hill of Sant'elia you can visit several natural attractions in the first place - the promontory of the Sella del Diavolo (Devil's Saddle), a small beach of Cala Figuera and the high, steep cliffs.