/ / Cagli: photos, description (Cagli)

Cagli: photos, description (Cagli)

Cagli is a small but very interesting tourist town in the Italian region Marche, located about 30 km South of Urbino. It occupies the territory of ancient settlement, located on the Roman road via Flaminia, which probably bore the name of Calais. In the 6th century it was the stronghold of the Byzantine Pentapolis - Pathrate, which included Rimini, Pesaro, Fano, Senigallia and Ancona, and the independent municipality of cagli was only in the 12th century. The city quickly subdued more than 52 nearby castles, settlements, overthrowing the local rulers and began to pose a threat to the feudal ambitions of the local abbeys. Soon a bishopric was founded cagli, however, at the end of the 13th century, the city was partially destroyed by a terrible fire and was rebuilt a little lower on the fertile plain at the foot of Monte Petrano. And again, cagli, in a short time has become one of the main cities of the Marche along with Pesaro, Fano and Fossombrone. The city's economy was based mainly on the manufacture of woolen goods, and later of silk products, and for tanning leather. In the 16th century there began to grow crops.

After entering cagli part of a United Italy, seemed, started a new life - a railroad was built Fano-Fabriano-Rome, erected a huge Municipal theater and many other public buildings, which caused economic and cultural growth. However, in 1944, the year the Nazis destroyed the railway, and the ancient via Flaminia had already lost its importance and began a long period of decline for cagli and the surrounding villages, which lasted up to 2000 years.

Today, cagli is a small provincial town that attracts tourists with its laid back atmosphere and interesting monuments of history and architecture. One of its main attractions is the fortified complex of the Rocca Torrione, built in 1481, the year for Duke Federico III da Montefeltro. Remarkable secret passage complex "Soccorso coverto", connecting the tower with the imposing ruins of a fortress, which was in the form of a diamond and destroyed in 1502, the year. Since 1989, the year in Rocca Torrione is the Center of modern sculpture.

In Piazza Matteotti attracts the attention of the Palace is the 13th century Palazzo Pubblico, built by the city's rulers. The fresco in the lunette on the back wall depicts the Madonna and child, Archangel Michael and St. gerontius is a creation of Giovanni Dionigi. Here you can also see the family coat of arms of the families Montefeltro and Della Rovere and emblem of the commune. The door to the left of the entrance leads to the basement with a medieval stone walls that served as a kind of dungeon. Next to the Palazzo Pubblico is another Palace, the Palazzo del Podesta, which is now occupied by the Archaeological Museum.

Of religious buildings it is worth noting cagli Cathedral Basilica with a Gothic portal of the 15th century and a bell tower with an octagonal belfry, the Church of San Francesco of the 13th century, around which, in fact, was built the new city after the fire, the Church of Santa Maria della Misericordia 14th century, with wonderful ancient frescoes, the Church of Sant'angelo Minore and the Church of San Domenico with the chapel Tyranny - a masterpiece of Giovanni Santi, father of Raphael.

About 8 km to the Northwest of cagli and 4 km to the West of via Flaminia in the vicinity of the town of Aqualonia there is a place of ancient settlement, is literally strewn with ruins. Today it is known as the piano di Valeria.