/ / Chapel Ovetari: photos, description (Cappella Ovetari)

Chapel Ovetari: photos, description (Cappella Ovetari)

Chapel Ovetari located in the Church Chiesa di Eremitani in Padua. She gained worldwide fame thanks to the cycle of frescoes of the Renaissance, which from 1448 to 1457-th years of work of Andrea Mantegna and other painters. In 1944, the year the frescoes were destroyed during the bombing of the city, to the present day survived only two scenes and a few fragments. As the cycle of frescoes can be seen only in old black-and-white photographs.

Antonio Ovetari was a Padua notary who, after his death bequeathed a large sum of money for the decoration of the family chapel in the Church of the Eremitani. The execution of the will took his widow, Ovetari that in 1448, the year hired several artists, including Giovanni d Alemania, Antonio vivarini and the two young citizens - Niccolo Pizzolo and Andrea Mantegna. The latter was only 17 years old, and he just started learning from Squarcione.

According to the agreement with Avatari, the first two artist had to do a painting of the arch of the cross vault and the right wall of the chapel, and paguanta remained the rest of the space, including the left wall and apse. Already in 1449, the year came the first disagreements between the artists, in which Mantegna left his job and went to Ferrara. Died Giovanni Vivarini also dropped the case, completing only the frescos on the vault that was later remade by Bono da Ferrara and Ensino da Forli. Mantegna also started to paint the vaulting of the apse, where he painted three saints. The next interruption happened in 1451, the year because of lack of money and lasted two years. Over the last phase of the work - until 1457, the year of Mantegna worked alone.

Ended all too not very beautiful - widow Ovetari accused the artist in the wrong picture biblical scenes of the virgin Mary, because instead of 12 apostles there's only eight, but the other painters defended the decision Mantegna, explaining that for the 12 apostles simply did not have enough space.

Around 1880, the year this mural along with a picture of the martyrdom of St. Christopher was removed from the wall. Both murals during the Second World war was kept in another room that allowed them to survive during the air raids in Padua. Unfortunately, the rest of the frescos were completely destroyed in March 1944. The chapel Ovetari today consists of a small room with a cross vault, which is connected with a pentagonal apse with the arch and four Windows.