/ / Capitol: photos, description (Campidoglio)

Capitol: photos, description (Campidoglio)

Since ancient times, the Capitol was the center of social, political and religious life of the city. There was a temple dedicated to Jupiter capitolinus. Hence the name of the Capitol, which later was used to designate the entire area as a whole. On the slopes of the Capitol, one of the most sacred hills of Rome, although inferior in height to other hills, at all times focused authorities.

The square and the palaces of the Capitol

Currently on top is a square of the Capitol, designed by Michelangelo. It is surrounded by magnificent palaces, and in the center stands the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius. Ellipses and volutes, decorating the pavement of the square, created based on sketches of Michelangelo. Statue of Marcus Aurelius that once stood in the square of the Lateran, was brought to the square of the Capitol in 1538, and in all probability Michelangelo did not anticipate that it will serve as a decorative element in this area.

Senatorial Palace, New Palace and the Palace Conservatory frame this square, re-built during the Renaissance. The new Palace and the Palace Conservatory, designed by Michelangelo in the XVI century, are similar to each other, as twins, their facades and Corinthian pilasters; both are crowned by an attic with a balustrade decorated with statues. The entrance to the Senatorial Palace (architects Rainaldi and Della Porta) are two picturesque staircases. The interior of this Palace is a lot of great salons, for example, Salon Banners, Salon Cars, Green Cabin etc. In the New Palace and the Palace Conservatory are located the Capitoline museums. Here comprehensive collection of Greek and Roman sculptures.

The Church of Santa Maria d ' Aracoeli

The first mention of the Church of Santa Maria d Aracoeli refers to the VII century; in the tenth century it becomes a Benedictine Abbey, and then goes to the brotherhood of the Minorite, who undertook its reconstruction in 1320. The building is topped by a gable roof; the facade is decorated with three portals with three Windows above them. The Central portal is framed by a small portico with two columns. The harsh façade of the XIV century two enliven the sculptural relief of the Renaissance, placed above the two side portals and depicting SV.Matthew and St. John.

Note

  • Location: Piazza del Campidoglio, Roma.
  • The nearest metro station is "Colosseo"