/ / The Capitoline museums: photo description (Musei Capitolini)

The Capitoline museums: photo description (Musei Capitolini)

The Capitoline museums group archeological museums in Rome, located in Piazza del Campidoglio on top of Capitoline hill. The core of the group are palaces Palazzo dei Conservatory and Palazzo Nuovo, facing in the direction of the trapezoidal square designed by Michelangelo in 1563.

History museums began in 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV bequeathed the collection of ancient bronze statues to the people of Rome. Since then the collection has grown and expanded to include a huge number of Roman artefacts, medieval art and Renaissance art, collection of jewelry, coins, etc.

In the center of the square stands the equestrian statue of Emperor Marcus Aurelius is a copy and the original is kept in the Capitoline Museum. I must say that many Roman statues were destroyed in the Middle ages on the orders of the Christian Church, but this one survived - in the era mistakenly believed that this statue of the Emperor Constantine, who made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire.

The Capitoline museums consist of three buildings connected to each other by an underground gallery beneath the Piazza, Palazzo, Senatorio the 12th century, the Palazzo dei Conservatory the mid-16th century and the Palazzo Nuovo, the 17th century. In addition, in the early 20th century, the Museum complex also includes a small Palazzo Caffarelli-Clementino, located near the Palazzo dei Conservatory.

Two floors of the Palazzo Nuovo is the statues, sarcophagi, busts, mosaics and other artifacts of ancient Rome. So, here you can see the marble statue "the Dying Gaul", a masterpiece of ancient art, "Cupid and psyche", is a colossal statue of the Ocean (one of the Titans) and the Venus of the Capitol of the 4th century BC.

In the Palazzo dei Conservatory exhibited predominantly Roman sculptures, but there are also Greek and Egyptian. On the second floor houses the famous bronze she-wolf who reared Romulus and Remus and became the symbol of Rome, as well as antique tapestries, frescoes, stucco, etc. On the third floor art gallery.

Collection of coins, medals, gems, and jewelry is stored in the adjacent Palazzo Caffarelli-Clementino.

Under the Palazzo dei Conservatory and the area is a Gallery Congiunzione connecting all three buildings - it was built in the 1930-ies. Today you can see ruins of ancient Roman dwellings, and also a collection of inscriptions on hard materials.