/ / The Cathedral of Ancona: photo, description Duomo di Ancona)

The Cathedral of Ancona: photo, description Duomo di Ancona)

The Cathedral of Ancona, also known as San Ciriaco is the main Church of Ancona, capital of Italian Marche region. The Cathedral, dedicated to Judas Cyriacus, as the name implies.

The building of the Cathedral located on the hill Guasca, which rises above Ancona and the Gulf, is a sample of the mixing of Romano-Byzantine and Gothic styles. It stands on the site of the ancient Greek Acropolis. Excavations carried out here in 1948 year, found that around the 3rd century BC on the site of the present Cathedral was a temple, probably dedicated to Aphrodite. In the 6th century BC and on its place was built an early Christian Church, which had a Central nave and three side chapels. The entrance to the Church was on the Southeast side, where today is located the chapel of the Crucifix. To this day preserved some fragments of the early Christian Church, for example, mosaic flooring and external walls.

In 995-1015-m. on the foundations of the old Church was built, which in 1017-year relics of the saints Marcellinus Aconcagua and Judas Cyriacus. In 12-13-th centuries to the Cathedral made an extension that gave it the shape of a Greek cross. At the same Church, previously called San Lorenzo, was pereosvyaschena in honor of St. Judas Cyriacus, is the patron Saint of Ancona and the first Bishop of the city.

The first restoration work in the Cathedral was conducted in 1883 year. During the First World war the Basilica was seriously damaged during the bombing and was restored only in 1920-m to year. And during the Second World war during an air RAID on the city was destroyed transept and crypt of the Church together with stored their works of art. Another serious damage the building received in 1972, the year of the earthquake, and was reopened to the public only in 1977.

Today the white stone Cathedral of San Ciriaco is one of the main attractions of Ancona. Its outer walls were decorated with false arches. The bell tower stands at some distance from the Church. It was built in the 14th century on the site of the pre-existing bell tower. The façade is divided into three sections, preceded by a wide staircase rests in the Romanesque portal of the 13th century. The latter is a round arch with four columns. Front are lions made of red Verona marble, and the rear, added later, Luigi Vanvitelli, on simple pedestals. It is believed that the portal is the creation of Giorgio da Como.

Notable is the dome of the Cathedral - one of the oldest in Italy. It has several cone-shaped form with twelve faces. The dome was made in the 13th century under the project Margaritone d Arezzo. The copper coating was added in the 16th century.

Inside the wooden vaults of the nave are decorated with paintings of the 15th century. On the left side of the chapel you can see the monument to the soldier Fermo 1530, the year. In the right transept is the chapel of the Crucifix, decorated with images of saints, God the father, virgin Mary and figures of animals. In the crypt located under the chapel and rebuilt after the Second World war, the fragments of the ancient Church. And in the left transept was built a chapel of the Madonna with a lavishly decorated niche, which houses a revered icon of the virgin Mary. Beneath this chapel is the crypt is it the relics of St. Judas Cyriacus (in the marble cancer), saints Liberia and Marcellinus (in cancer of Sicilian Jasper), and the ashes of the Holy Palatii.