/ / Cathedral of Acireale: photo description (Cattedrale di Acireale)

Cathedral of Acireale: photo description (Cattedrale di Acireale)

The Cathedral of Acireale, bearing the name of Maria Santissima Annunziata, dedicated to the Annunciation of the blessed virgin Mary. This is the main Roman Catholic Church of the Sicilian town of Acireale and the chair of the Bishop from 1870, the year.

The current building of the Cathedral, located on the main city square, Piazza Duomo, was built between 1597 and 1618 years. Then it was a small parish Church. However, a few years later, when in Acireale they brought the relics of Saint Venus, one of the two patronesses of the city, the Church was substantially rebuilt and enlarged. Today the Holy relics are buried inside the Cathedral.

By a happy coincidence, the Cathedral of Maria Santissima Annunziata suffered the destructive earthquake in 1693, the year during which was destroyed most of the city. The modern building of the Cathedral is a building of the 17th century with several significant additions of subsequent centuries.

Particularly noteworthy are the Baroque portal of the Church of the "Annunciation" painted by Placido Brandimonte from Messina, made in 1668, the year, as well as Western neo-Gothic facade of the work of Giovanni Battista Filippo Basile, completed after the author's death in 1891, the year. The two bell towers, standing on octagonal bases and in the style of mannerism, identical in its external appearance, although their construction was two and a half centuries. The southern bell tower with a dome was built in 1655, the year, and the North with a round window plug - in 1890. The interior of the Cathedral is decorated in the 17th century in the Baroque style.