/ / The Cathedral of Bari: photo description (Cattedrale di Bari)

The Cathedral of Bari: photo description (Cattedrale di Bari)

The Cathedral of Bari, named after the San Sabino, is the main Roman Catholic Church of the Apulian city of Bari, though less famous than, the Basilica of St. Nicholas, where the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. The Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Savin, Bishop of Canosa, whose remains were transferred here in the 9th century.

The current building of San Sabino was built between the late 12th and late 13th centuries, mostly in the last 30 years of the 12th century. It stands on the ruins of the Cathedral of the Byzantine Empire, which was destroyed in 1156, the year of the Sicilian king Wilhelm I of Evil along with the entire city of Bari. And today to the right of the transept you can see the traces of Byzantine cobbled floor. On one of the fragments of ancient mosaics are preserved inscription with the name of Bishop Andrea (758-761.).

At the end of the 12th century the Archbishop of Reinaldo initiated the restoration of the Cathedral, using materials from the destroyed building. In those years the chair of the Bishop served the surviving Basilica of St. Nicholas. But in 1292, the year the new Cathedral was consecrated, and regained its value. In the 18th century façade, a Central nave and side aisles, Trulla (the old baptistery of the 12th century, and now the sacristy) and the crypt was converted in Baroque style by order of the Archbishop of Muzio Gaeta. In subsequent years, the Cathedral has also undergone a number of slight rearrangements and reconstructions. The original Romanesque appearance was returned to the Cathedral only in the 1950-ies.

Stylistically, the San Sabino is an important example of the architecture of the Apulian-Romanesque style. The simple facade with three portals of the 11th century, with circular window-outlet, above which is a lintel carved with images of mythical monsters. The bell tower was built relatively recently, from a stone similar to that used in the construction of the Cathedral. Its dome is a clear Arabic influences.

Inside the Cathedral is divided into three chapels - they are separated from each other 16 columns with arcades. Once a brilliant lush Baroque decoration, now this Church has a very strict look and stands out, perhaps, only his empor - structures in the form of stands. The crypt holds the remains of St. Savin, Bishop of Canosa. Them in 844, the year brought to Bari the Holy Angelarius, saved the relic destroyed by the Saracens Canopy. Here you can see the icon of the Hodegetria Madonna: according to legend, it was brought from the East in the 8th century. In the two small apses are two sarcophagi, one of which the relics of St. Columba.

Next to the Cathedral of San Sabino is the Palazzo Kuria, which now houses the Museum of the diocese of Bari. It holds a valuable manuscript of the Byzantine era with beautiful illustrations - the "Exsultet".