/ / The Cathedral of Cremona: photo description (Cattedrale di Cremona)

The Cathedral of Cremona: photo description (Cattedrale di Cremona)

The Cathedral of Cremona, which bears the name of Santa Maria Assunta, the main Church of the small Lombard town and the chair of the Bishop. Its bell tower, famous Torrazzo, is the symbol of the city and is considered the highest Domodedovo tower of Italy. An integral part of the Cathedral is the baptistery, an important monument of medieval architecture.

Originally the Cathedral was built in Romanesque style, but over time in its appearance as a result of numerous restorations has elements of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles. The construction of the Church began in 1107, the year, but was interrupted by the earthquake of 1117, the year. It only resumed in 1129, the year and lasted for more than 40 years. The main altar dedicated to the patron Saint of Cremona Arcelia and Imeria, was consecrated in 1196, the year.

The current facade of the Cathedral was built in the 13th - early 14th century. Then was built the transept. Today, the facade and standing near the baptistery are considered among the most significant monuments of Romanesque art in Europe. The facade is notable for a portico with a narthex in the center, which in 1491, the year was added the Renaissance loggia with three niches. The facade is crowned with a huge window-wall socket. The portal was made in the early 12th century: on the sides are figures of the prophets. Also on the facade you can see the old frieze, the statues of the Madonna and child with bishops, two lions made of Verona marble and two gravestones, one of which dates from the mid-14th century.

Inside the Cathedral of Cremona are decorated with numerous works of art. The most ancient of them are the frescoes depicting scenes from the life of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph - they date from the 14th to 15th centuries. There is also the work of Giovanni Antonio Amadeo and Benedetto Briosco sculpture in the crypt. Special attention is given to the cycle of frescoes on the side wall of the nave is the early 16th century, it depicts scenes from the life of the virgin Mary and Christ. Over the cycle worked several masters: Boccaccio, Boccaccio, Giovanni Francesco Bembo, Altobello Melone, Girolamo Romanino, Il Pordenone and Bernardino Gatti.

The famous baptistery was built in 1167, the year - it is made in the shape of an octagon, which is typical of the cult of St. Ambrose of Milan, and symbolizes the eight days of the Resurrection. The architecture of the building blended the features of Romanesque and Lombard-Gothic styles (the latter represented by unfired brick walls). In the 16th century part of the walls of the baptistery were covered with marble, was paved floors and made the font in the Romanesque style. Above the arch you can see the statue of the Archangel Gabriel 12th century.