/ / Cathedral of Livorno: photo description (Cattedrale di Livorno)

Cathedral of Livorno: photo description (Cattedrale di Livorno)

Cathedral of Livorno is located on the large Piazza Grande. It was designed by the architect Alessandro Peroni and Antonio built Cantagallina. The construction of the Cathedral dedicated to Holy Mary, Francesco and Julia, was completed in 1606, the year. In the 18th century the Church was extended by added two side chapels, giving the rectangular shape of the Cathedral is shaped like a Latin cross. Later, in 1817, the year, the project Gaspero Pampaloni was built square belfry. Unfortunately, the original building of the Cathedral was completely destroyed during the bombing of Livorno in 1943, the year. Reconstruction of the Church started in 1952, the year according to the old drawings and pictures.

Inside the Cathedral houses a painting by 15th-century brush of fra Angelico's "Christ crowned with thorns," and several other interesting paintings of the early 17th century the well-known Tuscan artists - "the Celebration of the Holy Yulia" Jacopo Ligozzi, "assumption of the virgin" by Domenico da Passignano Clubs, "St. Francis of Assisi" Chimenti Jacopo da Empoli.

Once the Cathedral had six bells, which were cast in Prato in 1823, the year. After the war it was found only five of them - all of them were in bad condition, so they were melted down and cast new bells. Later they added another old bell, and today the Cathedral as before decorated with six bells.