/ / Cathedral of Osimo: photo description (Cattedrale di Osimo)

Cathedral of Osimo: photo description (Cattedrale di Osimo)

Osimo Cathedral, also known as the Church of San Leopardo, is the main Church of the small town of Osimo in the Marche. According to local legend, the Cathedral was built by the first Bishop of Osimo, the Holy Leopardo in the 5th century on the site of pre-existing pagan sanctuary of Ancient Rome. Another legend, not confirmed by any facts, suggests that the building of the Cathedral was rebuilt in the 7th century by the Bishop of the Holy Vitalini. There are no architectural elements relating to the period of the life of St. Vitalini, but there is a stone tablet in the wall of the crypt with the name of the Bishop.

In the late 12th - early 13th centuries the Bishop of the Gentile initiated the construction of the presbytery and the crypt under it, which survived until our days. And even a hundred years later, at the behest of Bishop Giovanni Romanesque appearance of the Church has some Gothic features. In 1393, the year the Cathedral building was partially destroyed during a fire. In the following centuries it has undergone several major changes, among which it is worth noting the emergence of the inner arch at the end of the 15th century, the staircase in the second half of the 16th century, a new paving and the side altars in the 17th century. At the same time was plastered internal walls. In the second half of the 19th century began the process of restoration of the Cathedral, which in fact can be called the destruction of the previous versions of the ancient building. Was removed the stair railing, built two side chapels, stripped of plaster. Alas, it was destroyed medallions with the image of the bishops of Osimo.

Today in the crypt of the Cathedral, built by Mastro Filippo in the 12th century, the relics of the martyrs of Winter - saints, Sisinio, Fiorenzo, Diocleziano and Massimo. There are also the tombs of the saints, Leopardo, Vitalini, Benvenuto, Victor and Corona. Near the Cathedral stands the baptistery of the 17th century with a beautiful baptismal font is the work of pier Paolo and Tarquinio, Jacometti of Recanati. Coffered ceiling - the creation Antonio Sarti from Jesi.

Attractions Cathedral of Winter is an ancient wooden crucifix of the time of Bishop Gentile. According to the legend, July 2, 1797-m year, many saw the crucified Christ opened his eyes for a few moments - since 2 of July is a religious holiday.