/ / Duomo di Orvieto: photo description (Cattedrale di Orvieto)

Duomo di Orvieto: photo description (Cattedrale di Orvieto)

Duomo di Orvieto is a huge Church built in the 14th century by order of Pope urban IV for the storage of the so-called "corporal of Bolsena" - silk bedspreads, the altar on which the sacrament of the Eucharist. With this subject connected story: it is said that in 1263 in the small town of Bolsena, one errant priest, doubting the truth of the phenomenon of Transubstantiation (turning the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ), saw that his host - the bread began to bleed, so much so that stained the altar cloth. This cloth is now kept in a specially built chapel in the Cathedral.

The Cathedral dominates the city, located on gerlovina of the volcano. Its facade is a classic example of religious architecture with a variety of elements 14 on the 20th centuries, a huge window plug, Golden mosaics and three bronze doors. Inside are two chapels, decorated with frescoes by the greatest Italian artists depicting scenes of the day of judgment.

The construction of the Cathedral dedicated to the assumption of the blessed virgin Mary, lasted almost three centuries. The first Foundation stone was laid in November 1290 by Pope Nicholas IV. And supervised the construction of the fra Bevignate of Perugia, he used drawings of Arnolfo di Cambio, architect of Florence's Cathedral.

The original Church of Orvieto was conceived as a Romanesque Basilica with a Central nave and two side aisles, but later it was decided to build it in the Italian Gothic style. In 1309 the architect was appointed a native of Siena, Lorenzo Maitani, which completely changed the design of the Cathedral. He strengthened the external walls with flying buttresses (buttresses), which, however, proved unnecessary, and rebuilt the apse, adding a large stained glass. Maitan was the author of the facade to the level where there are bronze statues of the evangelists. After his death at the post of architect of the Cathedral was visited by different people, including the famous Andrea Pisano. Between 1451 and 1456 years, Antonio federighi adorned the facade in the Renaissance style, and in 1503 Michele Sanmicheli finished the Central gable and added the right spire. The final chord in the decorations of the façade were made by Ippolito Scalza in the late 16th century. And the three bronze doors leading inside the Cathedral was completed only in 1970.

The interior is richly decorated with frescoes and other works of art. The attention of tourists is consistently attract a huge on the 15th century, consisting of 5585 tubes, and "Pieta" carved by Ippolito Scalza in 1579, - the master took eight years for the creation of four figures in marble of this impressive composition. Construction of wooden choirs began in 1329 and can be seen today in the apse. Behind the altar is a series of damaged Gothic frescoes depicting scenes from the life of the virgin Mary. Once this loop, created in the 14th century, was the largest in Italy.

In the Northern part of the Cathedral is the chapel Cappella del Corporale, built in the mid 14th century for the storage of sacred cloth from Bolsena. And a little further is the chapel of the Madonna di San Brizio, built in the 15th century and almost identical to the first. Over its decoration worked great painters fra Angelico and Perugino.

Directly opposite the Cathedral stands a huge building of the Palazzo del Opera del Duomo, was built in 1359 to house the administrative offices. It was greatly expanded in the second half of the 19th century, when the ground floor became a Museum, in the collections which you can see the Etruscan artifacts found in the vicinity of Orvieto - city, former capital of the Etruscan civilization. Next to the Palazzo is another Museum - the Museo Claudio Faina, also dedicated to Etruscan art.