/ / Cathedral of Pavia: photo description (Duomo di Pavia)

Cathedral of Pavia: photo description (Duomo di Pavia)

The Cathedral is the largest Church of the Lombard city of Pavia. Its construction was started in the 15th century on the site of the two Romanesque cathedrals (Santo Stefano and Santa Maria del Popolo) and is still considered unfinished. Inside the relics of St. Cyr, the first Bishop of Pavia, and near it once stood the Torre Civica, which collapsed in 1989-m to year.

Construction of the Cathedral begun in 1488, the year the architect Cristoforo Rocchi, who was soon replaced by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo and Gian Giacomo Dolcebuono. Original design with a Central nave and two side aisles, framed by semicircular niches, and a huge dome has been performed under the influence of the ideas of Bramante, and the creation of some of the details of the authors was inspired by St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome. It is also known that their contribution to the creation of the project of the Cathedral, made by the great Leonardo da Vinci.

In 1521, the year the disciples, Leonardo has completed work on the altar of the Cathedral. In the 17th century was completed the presbytery, but only in the next century was built the tambour of the dome, and the dome and the facade were made in the 19th century. The dome, designed by Carlo Maciachini, was complete in 1885, the year, but in the same year, partially collapsed. In 1930, the year continued construction of the transept of the Cathedral (on the original project, but with concrete structures).

Inside the Cathedral of Pavia is made in the form of a Greek cross is one of the largest buildings of the Central part of Northern Italy. The octagonal dome rises to the sky to a height of 97 meters and weighs about 20 tons. It is the fourth largest in Italy after the dome of St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome, the Pantheon and Florence Cathedral.