/ / Padua Cathedral: photos, description (Duomo di Padova)

Padua Cathedral: photos, description (Duomo di Padova)

Duomo di Padua - Cathedral and minor Basilica in Padua, named after Santa Maria Assunta. Located on the Eastern side of Piazza Duomo next to the Palazzo Vescovile. This is the third building erected on this spot. The first was built in 313-m to year and stood until the devastating earthquake of 1117, the year when it was destroyed. Later the temple was rebuilt in the Romanesque style - the medieval Church preserved in the frescoes of Giusto de Menabuoi adjacent to the Church baptistry. The development of the project the present Cathedral, Dating from the 16th century, sometimes attributed to Michelangelo, but in fact is the work of Andrea della Valle and Agostino Righetto. The Cathedral has a lot in common with the other early churches of Padua.

The place where in ancient times stood the first Church can be seen today in the Church yard - it is marked by a stone column topped with a cross. The Church was dedicated to St Justine, and for many centuries of its existence it was rebuilt several times - in the 7th, 9th, 11th centuries. Once she even burned down almost completely and was rebuilt in a brand new way, but in 1117, the year the building collapsed during the earthquake. From the buildings preserved, only fragments of the foundations of a square tower, part of the mosaic floor, stone sarcophagi, in which were kept the relics of the saints, etc., In 1180, the year was consecrated the building of the new Cathedral, which in 1227, the year the bell tower was built.

In 1522, the year, at the initiative of Bishop Peter Barozzi, work began on the reconstruction of the Cathedral, including the construction of a new, larger, presbytery. That is what the presbytery worked great Michelangelo Buonarroti - his idea has been implemented for several decades, and in 1582, the year the presbytery was inaugurated. At the same time were demolished medieval bell tower, and the old facade of the Cathedral expanded and decorated. In the 17th century was built a new nave. Finally the reconstruction of the Cathedral was completed in 1754, the year when it was consecrated by cardinal Carlo Rezzonico. Later started the construction of the dome.

Today the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is a Church in the form of a Latin cross with an octagonal dome. Two stairways lead to standing next to the presbytery. Small side doors allow to reach a small courtyard and on the street via Duomo. Main facade of the Cathedral remained unfinished, in addition, it suffered greatly during the First World war.