/ / Cathedral of Piacenza: photo, description Duomo di Piacenza)

Cathedral of Piacenza: photo, description Duomo di Piacenza)

Duomo di Piacenza Cathedral, Piacenza. The construction of the Church began in the 20-ies of the 12th century on the site of the earlier Basilica of Santa Giustina and was completed in 1233, the year. The facade of the building contains two buttresses - Sandstone in the upper part and pink marble at the bottom. Each of the three portals surmounted by a tympanum. Attraction of the facade are sculptures by local artists, inspired by the works of Wiligelmo and St. Nicholas, a masterpiece of Romanesque art. Tower and dome of the Church date back to the 14th century.

The interior of the Cathedral is decorated in the Baroque style, especially the frescoes of the Carracci and by procaccini in the presbytery, and Guercino and Morazzone on the arches of the dome. Interest is the painting by Robert de longe "Wedding of St Catherine". In addition, you should pay attention to panels made by local craftsmen, who also participated in the construction and decoration of the Cathedral. Baptismal font of the Cathedral dates back to pre-Christian times and confirms the ancient origins of the Duomo.

One of the chapels of the Cathedral bears the name of Madonna del Popolo in honor of the popular in the 17th century folk cult. Near it is the tomb of Beato Giovanni Battista main commercial, and in the crypt the relics of the Saint Justine.

The Cathedral's bell tower has a square shape, it is built of brick, and rises 67 meters above the ground. On top of its conical roof in 1341, the year of the master Pietro Vago has established a rotating Golden-copper figure of an angel. This figure, nicknamed "L andil Dahl House" is one of the symbols of Piacenza.

Piazza del Duomo in the Middle ages, to the arrangement of Piazza Cavalli and the Palazzo Gothic, was the public and religious center of the city. Today it, besides the Cathedral, you can see the old Palazzo Vescovile many times has been and Vitoslavlitsy. Last time it was reconstructed in 1863-th year, but its present appearance was acquired in the 16th century on the initiative of Pope Paolo III from the Farnese family, who wanted to improve the city in honor of the appointment of his son Pierluigi the ruler of the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza. It was then the Piazza Duomo was enlarged, standing there before the Church of San Giovanni was demolished, and in the Northern and Western sides were built cloisters. In the center of the square stands a statue of the virgin Mary, dated 1862 year.