/ / The Cathedral of Ragusa: photo, description Duomo di San Giorgio)

The Cathedral of Ragusa: photo, description Duomo di San Giorgio)

Duomo di Ragusa - the Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Sicilian city of Ragusa, named after San Giovanni Battista in honor of John the Baptist, and the tourist attraction of the city. The present Church was built in the early 18th century, and from the middle of the 20th century, it is the main Church of the bishopric of Ragusa.

The Church of San Giovanni Battista stood in the Western part of the old centre of Ragusa (Ragusa Ibla), surrounded by the walls of a medieval castle even before the devastating earthquake in Sicily in 1693, the year. Today in its place is the Church of Sant Agnes. Seriously damaged during the earthquake, the Church of San Giovanni Battista was rebuilt in the center of the new upper town of Ragusa, in the area of the cartridge. The first stone in its Foundation was laid in April 1694, the year, and the construction was completed only a few months later, and in August of the same year the solemn service called for all the elders of the commune. Such a short construction period suggests that the Church was small and did not meet the needs of the new urban area.

In 1718, the year they started building a new, larger temple on the site of the Church of San Giovanni Battista. Supervised the construction of two masters from the city of Taormina - Giuseppe and Giovanni Recupero Arcidiacono. Some architectural elements of the Cathedral is typical for the Baroque monuments of Acireale and Catania, for example, an impressive Baroque portal with rusticoville columns, which has much in common with a marble portal of the Cathedral of Acireale. The interior of the Cathedral of San Giovanni Battista dates back to the 19-20-th centuries - he repeatedly modified and supplemented. In 1950, the year the Cathedral became the main Church of the newly established episcopate of Ragusa.