/ / Cathedral of San Gerlando: photos, description (Cattedrale di San Gerlando)

Cathedral of San Gerlando: photos, description (Cattedrale di San Gerlando)

Cathedral of San Gerlando - the Roman Catholic Church in Agrigento, built in the 11th century and consecrated in honor of the Holy Garland and ascension of the virgin Mary. The Cathedral stands close to the historic centre of the city on the top of the cliff, where from Piazza Pirandello store tree-lined avenues. The initiator of its construction was the local Bishop, Gerlando, which later became regarded as the patron Saint of Agrigento. His remains are kept in a silver reliquary in a chapel inside the Cathedral is one of the few relics that survived time and the machinations of thieves and looters.

Today before the eyes of tourists have wonderful retrospective of those alterations which the Church has undergone many hundreds of years. It combines features of different architectural and artistic styles - the Norman, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. Especially large-scale reconstruction was carried out after the earthquake in 1693 and the landslide in 1745.

The unusual bell tower, whose construction began in the 15th century, but never was completed, deserves very special attention, thanks to its wide window framing in the Arab-Norman style, Baroque balconies and painted wooden ceiling dated 1518 year. The altitude of the presbytery inside the Church creates an indescribable acoustics. A word spoken in a whisper at the entrance can easily be heard in the apse at the level of the altar! Those who come here for confession, should be careful what they say.

The Gothic portico is one of the most memorable features of the Cathedral, as well as the work of "Fanfare Brandimarte", created between 1500 and 1680 years. The interior has three naves of the Church are decorated with frescoes, sculptures and tombstones from the graves of some notable residents of Agrigento is a real triumph of the Baroque style. From the Cathedral you can go to the vestry and Diocesan Museum.