/ / The Cathedral of San Maurizio: photos, description (Cattedrale di San Maurizio)

The Cathedral of San Maurizio: photos, description (Cattedrale di San Maurizio)

The Cathedral of San Maurizio - a beautiful neoclassical Church in the Ligurian town of Empire, situated in the district of Porto Maurizio. It was built by the architect of Lugano Gaetano Cantoni from 1781 to 1838-the first few years. Today this magnificent Church, standing at the top of the fortified promontory of Parasio, is the largest in size of religious building throughout Liguria: its sides are equal 70 and 42 meters (82 feet long with the front stairs), and the total area is about three thousand sq. m.

San Maurizio was built on the former Piazza D Armi on the site of an old Romanesque Cathedral, which fell into disrepair. Before the architect's task was to make the Cathedral a symbol of prosperity and grandeur of the Genoese Maritime Republic. However, work on its construction was interrupted by the outbreak of the French revolution. In 1947, the year San Maurizio received the status of a minor Basilica, and today he is the chair of the bishops of Albenga and Imperia.

On both sides of the Church are the bell tower, the twin height of about 36 meters, but only in the right the Campanile the bell. The Church façade has eight columns - Doric (lower loggia), Ionian (pediment and pilasters of the Central part of the bell) and the Corinthian. The apse facing the East and "immersed" in a rectangular building, which houses the sacristy, living quarters for clergy and other offices.

Inside the Cathedral is divided into a Central nave and two lateral chapels and topped by a marvellous dome with coffered arches, which at a height of 48 meters you can still see the round lantern. The main dome is preceded by a secondary, smaller and without a lamp. There is six other small domes located in the side aisles. The interior of San Maurizio decorated with stucco imitating white marble, and Corinthian columns (they are almost a hundred!) - he reminds the Basilica of ancient Rome. Floor with geometric pattern marble. From the works of art kept in the Cathedral, we can distinguish the statue of St. Mauritius designed by Carlo Finelli, the statue of the Madonna della Misericordia of the 17th century, and the crucifix is the creation of Anton Maria Maragliano, statues of the four Evangelists, paintings Francesco Coletti, Domenico Piola Cesare Viazzi and Francesco Podesti. The pulpit of the 17th century, made in the Baroque style of white marble, preserved from the ancient Romanesque Cathedral.