/ / Cathedral of St. Andrew:, (Cattedrale di Sant'andrea)

Cathedral of St. Andrew:, (Cattedrale di Sant'andrea)

Cathedral of St. Andrew is, perhaps, the main attraction of the famous Italian resort of Amalfi, located on the top of the stairs overlooking the main city square Piazza Duomo. The Grand building was built in the 11th century in a unique, Norman-Byzantine style, and in the following centuries it was supplemented with elements of Gothic and Baroque. To the monumental main entrance of the Cathedral by a staircase of 62 steps, which rests on the mosaic façade decorated with arches and geometric patterns. The facade was rebuilt in the 19th century. Bronze doors of the Cathedral was by special order made in Constantinople in 1065, the year and decorated with silver, inlaid with images of Christ, virgin Mary and saints.

On the left of the Church building adjacent to the so-called "Paradise courtyard" Chiostro del Paradiso, which is actually a cemetery. It was founded in the 13th century for the noble inhabitants of Amalfi, and is now considered one of the architectural masterpieces of the South of Italy. The yard of the cemetery, planted with palm trees and flowers embellished with delicate interlacing arches in the Arab-Byzantine style. The walls and the remains of an old Church decorated with geometric patterns and mosaics depicting scenes of the crucifixion. Mosaics of the 14th century fulfilled the disciple of the great Giotto Roberto d Oderisio. Also pay attention to the bell tower of the 12th century, standing on a Romanesque Foundation and is topped by domes.

At the end of the Chiostro del Paradiso is a chapel, which leads to another, more ancient Basilica of the 9th century. The last, called the Basilica of the Crucifixion, consists of a Central nave, two aisles and tall apses. Today, the walls of this Basilica is a Museum which exhibits ancient sarcophagi, sculptures, jewelry and other artifacts.

From the Basilica, you can find in the crypt of St. Andrew, which, according to legend, the relics of the Saint, brought from Constantinople. The crypt is decorated with marble statues. Finally, the Cathedral impresses visitors with its elaborate sculptures and painted coffered ceiling. In the chapel left of the entrance is the baptismal font of red porphyry, which probably brought here from the ancient city of Paestum. Also pay attention to pearl cross, who in 1930, the year of Amalfi gave to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for assistance in hospital construction in the 12th century.