/ / Cathedral of Todi: photo, description Duomo di Todi)

Cathedral of Todi: photo, description Duomo di Todi)

Cathedral of Todi, named after the Santa Maria Annunziata is the main Church, a small Umbrian town, built in the 11th century in the Gothic style. It is believed that it built on the site of pre-existing Roman building, possibly a pagan temple dedicated to Apollo. This indicates antique bronze figurine of the God Mars found here are now kept in the Vatican Museums.

Cathedral of Todi was almost completely rebuilt after the terrible fire of 1190 years - that's when the Church acquired its modern look. The main feature of the square facade in Lombard style is the huge Central rose-window, characteristic of most Gothic churches, but added here in 1513. To that period also belongs the wooden portal made by Antonio Bencivenni from Mercatello - from him to the present day survived only the top four panels.

Inside the Cathedral is designed in the form of a Latin cross with Central nave and two side aisles. They say that once there was another chapel, called "La kavatina", but it is nothing left, and nobody knows if he existed at all. On the reverse side of the facade, directly above the round window is the outlet that is the huge size of the fresco depicting scenes from the last judgment is a creation of the painter, Ferrau Fanzone, which was known by the nickname Il Fanzone. This work he ordered the cardinal Angelo CESI. The altar part of the temple is notable for its Gothic altar and a magnificent two-tiered enclosure of the choir, done in 1521. Other important works of art are 13th-century Crucifix, made in the traditions of the Umbrian school, lovely antique font and colorful stained-glass Windows.