/ / Colico: photo description (Colico)

Colico: photo description (Colico)

Colico is the most important town in the Northern part of lake Como. The population of this town located at the confluence of the Adda river into the lake is about 7,200, and covers an area of 35.3 sq. km Colico is an important transport hub - from here you can reach Milan by train or car) or to Como and Lecco (on ferries and boats). In addition, the highway connects Lecco with Milan, Keaveney and Bolzano.

In this city there is the famous Abbey of Piona is one of the most romantic architectural monuments of Lombardy and one of the most beautiful monasteries of Northern Italy. The Church of the Abbey was built in the 11th century, but in the following centuries repeatedly rebuilt. A loggia with pointed arches dates from the 13th century, the bell tower was built in the 18th century.

Among the other attractions of Colico is to provide a Montecchio and Fort Fuentes. First, Fort Montecchio is the only Italian Fort, a legacy of the First World war. It was built in 1911-1914, respectively, for control over the city streets Suliga, Maloja and Stelvio in the case that the so-called Central powers (German Empire, Austria-Hungary, Ottoman Empire and Bulgarian Kingdom) decided to violate the neutrality of Switzerland and to invade Northern Italy. However, it so happened that the Fort never participated in hostilities, even in the years of the Second World war. Later it was used as a warehouse to store weapons. Today visitors to Fort Montecchio can see its main attraction - the armament consists of four guns.

Fort Fuentes was built in 1603-1606-m years by count Fuentes to protect the borders to the North of the Duchy of Milan. It consists of several levels and can accommodate up to 300 people. Its favourable geographical location allowed them to control the territory lying at the bottom of the plain, in the 17th century bore the name of the Spanish plains of Pian di Spagna. In 1796, by order of Napoleon the Fort was dismantled and abandoned. Today there are only ruins left.

Because once Colico was an important stop on the main roads of the Apennine Peninsula, he was seriously strengthened. To the North of Fort Montecchio you can still see two guard towers, which were built in the so-called period of Castello Colico. You should pay attention to the tower of Fontaneda, built in the 14th century, and Curcio, now converted into a farm estate. Finally, in the town Olgiasca stands the castle of Mirabello, built probably in the 16th century.

Of religious buildings Colico is worth noting the small Church of San Rocco, originally dedicated to saints Fabian and Sebastian. She stands outside the town on the slopes of Monte Legnone at an altitude of 500 meters. Noteworthy are also the Villa with Malpensata overlooking the lake façade, Villa, Asia located on the waterfront, Lungolario Polti.

In addition to historical and cultural attractions in Colico there is a nice beach with a field for soccer, tennis courts, a surfing school and kite surfing.