/ / The Albornoz fortress: photos, description Dell Fortezza Albornoz)

The Albornoz fortress: photos, description Dell Fortezza Albornoz)

The Albornoz fortress, built in Orvieto, by order of the Spanish cardinal Albornoz, to the left of Piazza Cahen. It was built by the military engineer Ugolino di Montemarte.

The fortress is situated on the spot where once stood the ancient Etruscan temple, which archaeologists call Augurale. The construction of a massive fortress, originally known as the Rocca di San Martino, begun in 1359 or 1353. Next was the city cemetery, and some important public buildings. The main goal in the construction of the fortress was the transformation of Orvieto in the reliable bulwark of the Church, where the cardinal and his subjects could join efforts in the conduct of military campaigns.

Near the main gate was built a small building which was surrounded by a moat to get into it was only possible on the suspension bridge. But all the tricks did not help: already in 1395 Rocca was demolished, and all subsequent attempts to restore it have been unsuccessful. Only in the mid-15th century, the castle was able to be rebuilt using the original blueprints. At the same time, it added a number of fortifications.

After the sack of Rome in 1527 Pope Clement VII took refuge in Orvieto. To be sure that in case of siege, the city will be stocked with water, he ordered to dig the well, which today is known as the Pozzo di San Patrizio. The second well was dug to provide water only fortress. The first well worked by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, as evidenced by the inscription above the South entrance, taken during restoration work 1712.

Finally the fortress was completed under Popes Paul II and urban VIII in 1620-ies, and later it was restored on the initiative of Pope Alexander VII. In 1831 most of the building was destroyed, and in 1888 the exterior moat was filled with earth to pave the way for the funicular. Interesting fact: here in 1882, was held the funeral of the great Italian Giuseppe Garibaldi. Today the fortress is used as a city Park.