/ / The fortress is La Fortezza: photos, description (La Fortezza)

The fortress is La Fortezza: photos, description (La Fortezza)

The fortress is La Fortezza is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Arezzo. In the 14-15 th centuries in this part of the city was called Poggio San Donato, because they were stationed on the same hill. And the whole area around the fortress was known as the Citadel - there were houses, churches, towers, City Hall, and Palazzo del CAPITANO. In the next century all these buildings were demolished for the erection of the new fortress of the Medici, as the rules of military engineering demanded that the Fort was isolated. That is why from ancient Arezzo remained so little buildings.

It is not known where the medieval fortress, the Castrum Macionis. Probably it was built in the 9th and 10th centuries some of the Tuscan Marquis on the hill of San Donato, near the modern fortress of the Medici. It is precisely known only, that on top of the hill was Cassero di San Donato - tower built by Bishop Tarlati in 1312-27. In General, the Bishop to the construction of new city walls, built three small FORTS: one was located near Porta San Clemente, and the other at the gates of the Port of San Lorentino, and the third on the hill of San Donato. However Cassero di San Donato was seriously damaged during the riots against the Bishop. Subsequently, the tower was rebuilt, and in 1502, the year when aretini again rebelled against Florence, they are again partially destroyed Cassero as a symbol of Florentine rule. Shortly after the suppression of the revolt of Florence appointed two outstanding architects of that time, Giuliano da Sangallo and his brother Antonio Il Vecchio - the building of a new modern fortress.

The current fortress is on the Eastern edge of the Park "Il Prato", and the ancient trees hide the entrance inside. To the present day is not preserved moat around the castle and suspension bridge, but you can still see the holes in which were mounted the bridge, and the ancient loopholes. Above the entrance is a large family crest of the Medici family, and just behind the entrance is a large square room, from which a long corridor leads to the top of the fortress. Along this corridor are numerous rooms that are closed to the public. A large part of the fortress bastions once had secret underground passages and tunnels led to the battlements on the outer walls. Here were wells, cisterns for water storage, and other facilities, including the powder magazine. None of the buildings inside the fortress has not survived to our days - today it is possible to see only a large garden.

The inhabitants of Arezzo and visitors like to stroll around the fortress and enjoy the views. In the area between the Bastion of La Back and the Belvedere was originally a pagan complex dedicated to Jupiter, Minerva and Juno, but a little to the side, between the Belvedere and the Chiesa della Bastion, are fragments of the ancient Roman amphitheater.