/ / Rocca Aldobrandesca: photos, description (Rocca Aldobrandesca)

Rocca Aldobrandesca: photos, description (Rocca Aldobrandesca)

Rocca Aldobrandesca, also known as the Rocca Spagnola, a fortress in Porto Ercole, the former in the past one of the bastions of the defensive system of the promontory of Monte Argentario. Earlier in the place where today stands the fortress, was a small oratory of San Giovanni Evangelista, first mentions about which meet in 1074, the year. Then, on the orders of Countess Margaret Aldobrandeschi there was built a square tower, which became the nucleus of the future fortress. Later the tower became property of the Orsini family of Pitigliano, which has completed the construction of fortifications. After the conquest of Porto Ercole; the Sienese in the 15th century for the restoration and expansion of the Rocca Aldobrandesca was invited by the artist Lorenzo di Pietro, known as Vecchietta. He was attached to the Fort two round towers, giving it the shape of a triangle, and the wall running from those towers to the sea. And in 1487, the year the military engineer Francesco di Giorgio Martini has perfected the design of Vecchietti, making part of the fortress Byzantine tower, which stood on the Bank, he connected her with Rocca via a covered walkway.

The following modifications in Rocca Aldobrandesca took place in the mid-16th century was a fortified defensive wall of the fortress, and the fortress was attached to the powerful bastions, and constructed earthworks. In those same years was built the chapel of San Giovanni - a small gem of Renaissance architecture. From the fortress with the help of light signals was done a message from Fort Sant Ippolito to the West and Fort della Galera, in the North, with the Palazzo dei Governanti can be communicated through the underground tunnels.

After the unification of Italy Rocca Aldobrandesca began to lose its defensive function. In 1862, the year on one of its corners was built the lighthouse, and at the end of the 19th century the fortress was converted into a prison, in which during the First World war kept prisoners. After the Second world war, the castle was closed and sold to private hands. The interior was adapted for housing, and part of the premises became the property of the commune.