/ / Chioggia: photo description (Chioggia)

Chioggia: photo description (Chioggia)

Chioggia is a commune in the Venetian lagoon, 25 km from Venice, located on several Islands connected to the mainland by the bridge of Sottomarina. According to the last census, in the municipality, spread over an area of 185 sq km with population of about 52 thousand people.

The first mention of Chioggia meet during the Roman Empire, Pliny, who called the town of fossa Claudia, the founder of Clodius. Chioggia and the title appears first in documents of the 6th century, when the city was part of the Byzantine Empire. In the 9th century Chioggia was destroyed by the troops of king Pippin and rebuilt around salt marshes. In the Middle ages, the city became one of the largest fishing ports in the North of Italy. The right to rule over Chioggia from Venice itself challenged a great Genoese Republic. In 1378, the year the city was even captured by the Genoese, but just a couple of years was conquered by the Venetians, who retained control over it for several centuries.

Today Venice, with its canals, chief of which is the Canal Vena, and is considered a miniature replica of Venice. The characteristic narrow streets of the town are called "Callie" and attract tourists. Local attractions worth noting the Romanesque Cathedral of Santa Maria, built in the 11th century and reconstructed by Baldassare Longhena in mid-17th century and the Church of Sant'andrea 18th century with a bell tower of the 11th-12th centuries and one of the oldest lookout tower in the world. The Church interior is decorated crucifix, with Palma the elder. Preserved in the town and other medieval churches, most of which was rebuilt in the 16-17th centuries - the heyday of Chioggia.

One of the areas of Chioggia Sottomarina is a popular seaside resort with 60 hotels and 17 campgrounds.