/ / Lecco: photo description (Lecco)

Lecco: photo description (Lecco)

Lecco is a small town located on the southeastern shores of lake Como, 50 km from Milan. According to the last census there are about 48 thousand people. Lecco is the administrative center of the homonymous province. In the North and East of the city are the so-called Bergamo Alps, dissected by the valley of the Valsassina.

Where is Lecco, lake Como narrows and forms the river Adda through, she had built a lot of bridges to improve transport links with Milan. In the heart of Lecco, there are four bridge over the Adda - Azzone Visconti bridge (1336-1338 years), the Kennedy bridge (1956), the bridge Alessandro Manzoni (1985) and a railway bridge.

Archaeological finds indicate that the first inhabitants of the area were Celtic tribes. Then came the Romans, who built the Castrum - type military settlement and turned it into an important transportation hub. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire in the 6th century the town was conquered by the Lombards, which was later succeeded by the Franks. A lot of time in Lecco had the Emperor Otto I the Great, who suppressed the uprising 964, the year raised local count Atton against the Holy Roman Empire. Stayed here and the Emperor Conrad II, who wanted to liberate the city from the Church authorities. Then Lecco became part of the Duchy of Milan, and only in the mid-19th century along with the rest of Lombardy became part of United Italy. During the second World war, this city was an important center of guerrilla struggle against the German occupiers.

Today Lecco is a popular tourist resort. The city has about a hundred of monuments of history and culture, among which is particularly highlight the small Romanesque Basilica of San Nicolo, Palazzo delle Paure, Teatro Della Societa, Palazzo Bovara and the Church of Santa Maria.

Palazzo delle Paure stands on Piazza XX Settembre and faces the promenade and Piazza Cermenati. This four-story building was built in 1905 for the local tax office, for which he received the name of "Palazzo delle Paure" in Italian means "Palace of fears".

In Bovara Palazzo today houses the municipality of Lecco. The name of this building comes from the name of the architect who designed it and can sometimes be misleading because the same name are the house in which was born the architect Giuseppe Bovara, and Villa Bovara family estate. Construction on the Palazzo began in 1836 - it was initially supposed that it will be the first hospital in Lecco, but in 1843 the works had to be suspended due to lack of funds, and that's why four of the planned courtyards managed to finish only one. In 1854 was completed the facade of the Palazzo that faces one side of Piazza Diaz and the other to Piazza Lega Lombarda. Since 1928 the building houses city hall.

Another interesting Palace of Lecco, Palazzo Falk, standing on the main square, Piazza Garibaldi, near the Palazzo della Popolare the Bank and the Palazzo Croce di Malta. It is also worth to visit the Eremo Villa with a spacious Park, built in 1690, the year the Marquis Serpenti, and Villa Manzoni, where the famous Italian poet, writer and playwright Alessandro Manzoni. Today, this elegant neo-classical building houses the Museum dedicated to the writer. Right from the Villa you can see a small chapel, built in 1777, it buried the father of Manzoni.